Saturday, January 7, 2012

Knicks 99, Wizards 96

Photo by AP
It wasn't pretty, nor was it entirely satisfying, but the Knicks pulled out a win over the lowly Washington Wizards. I didn't get to see this one in its entirety because I was at a family function, but I'll do my best to give some notes on what I saw:

In the first quarter, the Knicks went down 18-32. Washington was stroking the long ball and breaking down the Knicks' defense courtesy of John Wall (intentional rhyme). On the other end, Amar'e Stoudemire forced a whole bunch of shots and the Knicks turned the ball over what seemed like every other possession.

From that point on, the Knicks out-scored the Wiz 81-64. Hot shooting from Carmelo Anthony, improved defense, and some passable point guard play from Iman Shumpert and Mike Bibby helped get the Knicks a much-needed win.
  • By my eye, Toney Douglas took good shots and attempted to make good decisions, but it just didn't happen for him. He only played 11 minutes in the game and was scoreless during that time, but he attempted to attack the basket and make little drop-off passes for Stoudemire and Chandler, but the shots were either turned away by the Wizards big men or the passes were fumbled.
  • Iman Shumpert started the second half and gave the Knicks competent point guard play. He didn't shoot the ball well, and I was sort of unaware of his impact until I looked at the boxscore. 10 points on 4-11 shooting (eh), 3 rebounds, 7 assists, 5 steals, and 1 block, with a +/- of +20! Whether that means Shump will start next game, I don't know, but he's solidified a spot on this team and has become an important piece going forward.
  • Carmelo Anthony had himself a ball game, being the main catalyst to pull the Knicks out of their lassitude. 37 points on 16-33 shooting, no basket more important than his 3-pointer with 15 seconds to go in the game that gave the Knicks a two point lead. He played a lot of isolation ball, but he and Amar'e hooked up on a few nice plays which is always good to see. What isn't all that good is what a crutch Melo is becoming for the Knicks; eventually you need a total team effort to win.
  • I haven't had any complaints about Tyson Chandler the last few games. It seems as if he's found his niche on both sides of the floor. 12 points and 15 rebounds is fine by me.

I wish I could provide more insight, but my viewing was rather abbreviated, and watching the Knicks in 60 doesn't really give you much to go on. Especially when 10 of the 60 minute-recap is just the pregame show.....

Detroit Pistons tonight at 7:30! Preview will be up later.

No comments:

Post a Comment