Sunday, January 15, 2012

Thunder 104, Knicks 92 - Recap

I consider myself lucky for missing this game. I didn't get to watch because I had some things going on, but I caught the recap, and have seen the highlights and such, and this was just bad. Thus, this will be a pretty abbreviated recap.

The final score is a bit deceiving because the Knicks' scrubs out-played Oklahoma City's scrubs. A more telling score would be the halftime score which was 70-47 in favor of the Thunder.

I'm not sure really what bright spots there were in this game, but I'll search:

  • The bench crew played well. Toney Douglas, Josh Harrellson, and Renaldo Balkman combined for 38 points on 14-26 shooting. Harrellson is playing really well the last few games, Balkman deserves playing time over Bill Walker, I believe, and anything Toney Douglas does at this point is good for his confidence.
  • Mike D'Antoni put a different starting lineup out, replacing the injured Carmelo Anthony with Bill Walker, moving Iman Shumpert (who had another poor game) to shooting guard, and Mike Bibby as the point guard. Landry Fields came off the bench. Walker, Shumpert, Bibby, and Fields all stunk in this game.
  • Amar'e Stoudemire continues to stink. I don't know what else to say. I didn't get to really watch much, but I'm guessing at this point Stoudemire is just forcing way too hard, and the lack of a point guard is making things worse.

Those are really the only things I found noteworthy about the small glimpses I saw of this nightmare. The Knicks need a team meeting, or to go to a day spa, or talk to some fortune tellers or something. This isn't the doomsday scenario a lot of beat writers are making it out to be; the team is still fairly banged up. 

However, few teams with as much talent as the Knicks are struggling so mightily, and some of that leads me to believe there's something wrong with the chemistry or coaching. I don't know. It's still early, we're only 12 games into the season. Tyson Chandler once said something about this team needing a 20-game mark to gel and get it together. I guess we'll see, but the clock is ticking.....

No comments:

Post a Comment