Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Mike D'Antoni Has Resigned as Head Coach

Wow. A series of tweets from Adrian Wojnarowski on the subject:
Mike D'Antoni has resigned as New York Knicks coach, a source tells Y! Sports.

Another source confirms D'Antoni ouster with Knicks, tells Y!: "Conflicting visions of club's future...Mutual decision to no longer coach."

 Assistant coach Mike Woodson will take over as the Knicks interim coach, a source tells Y!

 Knicks assistants Dan D'Antoni and Phil Weber are gone too, source tells Y! Sports.
I'm in class for 50 minutes and this is what happens?! Holy smokes. It was almost a definite that D'Antoni would be gone at the end of the season, and I was beginning to be OK with that because the Knicks clearly weren't on the same page, and I questioned certain aspects of his coaching. But I liked the man. I liked his offense, I liked how he handled players, I liked how he handled the media.

But this does bring some clarity (and legitimacy) to the reports this morning about the turbulence in the Knicks' locker room. We know he and Carmelo Anthony weren't on the same page. Who knows about other players. But we do know guys like Amar'e Stoudemire, Jeremy Lin, Jared Jeffries, and Baron Davis were all advocates of D'Antoni's coaching and his system.

It will be interesting to see now how the team fares under Woodson and other assistants that I'm sure will be needed to replace D'Antoni. Will it look like a weight has been lifted off their shoulders? That would be telling. Or will they look like chickens running around with their heads cut off (kind of like all of the personalities and voices in my head are right now)? This is shocking.

Best of luck to D'Antoni and his departed assistants in future endeavors. The man was hardly appreciated in his time in New York which is a shame. But I know myself and hoards of other Knicks fans and writers will miss him.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment