Well, well... the offseason is starting to pick up some steam now after a few sleepy weeks. The NBA Draft is tomorrow night, which has sparked some trade rumors (and of course, actual trades), and has the wheels turnin' once again. For the Knicks, a pretty good amount of stuff has happened over the last few days, which I haven't gotten to write about; hence this links post.
Anyway, if ya'll would like to take the jump, we can get all caught up on what's going on!
- J.R. Smith had to decide whether to opt into the second and final year of his contract with the Knicks on Tuesday, and he chose to opt out. However, as Alan Hahn explained, Smith would like to return to New York this season, and he can get a 20% raise to bring his contract to about $2.8 million per year. It seems likely that Smith will return to the Knicks, but there could certainly be higher-paying suitors too.
- A bit of news that saddens me: Howard Beck of the New York Times is leaving the Knicks beat and moving to cover the Brooklyn Nets. Good for Howard. This pretty much summarizes my feelings, but Beck was one of, if not the best beat reporter for the Knicks. A damn good writer who always broke stories first. I will miss his coverage for sure.
- The Knicks extended qualifying offers to Jeremy Lin and Landry Fields, which will make them restricted free agents this offseason. This is good.
- Amar'e Stoudemire was fined $50,000 for using a gay slur towards a "fan" on Twitter. Shame on Amar'e for using the word; something no one should say. However, this "fan" also baited him, so let's not feel too bad for the victim. I'm sure Amar'e has learned his lesson.
- Mike Woodson has been doing some good things to bring the Knicks together.
- Carmelo Anthony has apparently lost 12 pounds since the season ended. I actually sort of see that as a bad thing - 'Melo, evidently, had 12 pounds to lose, and if he loses too much weight, it kind of throws off his post-up/bully game. On the other hand, perhaps this will make him a bit more explosive around the rim.
- Also, Carmelo just had his own wax figure unveiled at Madame Tussaud's museum in Times Square. He used the opportunity to scare people!"Hey, hey, how ya doing?!"
Alright, that's about it for now! I'm sure there will be more to come in the next few days, so keep checking up!