Free agency has been alive and well and chaotic. I haven't updated here at all, but there's lots going on, particularly with our Knicks. If you would like some updates, take the jump, and we can get all up to speed with what's going on!
- As you've likely heard, the Knicks are still pursuing Steve Nash. They like him, he likes them, but there are a few things in the way:
- The Toronto Raptors are offering Nash way more money than the Knicks can.
- The Knicks were interested in a sign-and-trade with Phoenix to get Nash. The Knicks could throw in some filler like Toney Douglas, Josh Harrellson, Jerome Jordan, Dan Gadzuric, and one other piece to make Phoenix happy, and match salaries. There are a few problems there as well:
- The Knicks don't want to give up Iman Shumpert.
- The Suns really like Landry Fields, and the Knicks would be willing to include Fields in a sign-and-trade for Nash, but the Raptors eliminated that prospect by offering Fields a 3-year/$20 million contract. The Knicks can match it, but then they can't trade Fields to Phoenix if they do. So, Fields is likely going to Toronto.
- On the Jeremy Lin front: he's meeting the Rockets of Houston right now, being courted. Pretty much everyone is saying the Knicks will match any contract Lin receives, even if it's a "poison pill" contract, that's super back-loaded. The Knicks will be paying the tax anyway.
- The Rockets have supposedly offered 4 years/$30 million (though I can't find any definitive word), which the Knicks would certainly match.
- Marc Berman says the Knicks might be looking at Shawne Williams again. Cool.
Ugh, this is all crazy and stressful! I'll try to update when I can. I'm going swimming now!